Friday, January 11, 2013

Jesus on Gun Control, Part 1

Don't judge me! When we say that, does it mean that anything is okay? Or does it mean that I know that you do it, too? Jesus said, Judge not that you be not judged. At the end of this article, I hope you will remember that I am not judging you and I hope you will not judge me. I hope you will critically analyze what I have to say and continue your own prayer and Bible study and thinking as our society and our churches struggle to make positive changes.


When it comes to gun control, I insist that Christians start at a far different place than the general public. Christians are Christ-followers, and Christ gives us a completely new, and radically different foundation for our life on this earth. Jesus said, Turn the other cheek, Jesus said, You can not be my disicple unless you give up all, unless you die to yourself. Jesus says take up your cross every day. Not your gun. Leave, die, deny, give up rights.


I will provide. I can do it! Even mothers, fathers, children will be given to you if you leave them for my sake. Christ-followers die to this world, because we are invested in the next.


Christ, as our perfect example, did not return evil for evil. He took all that they had to give and asked God to forgive them. If you are suffering unjustly, rejoice!!!!

When Jesus said to love your enemy, I suggest that he meant something. When someone is threatening to take my stuff, or break into my house, or hurt my loved ones, he deserves to be considered my enemy. Now, what does it mean to love him in that moment? Kill him, in this un-saved condition? I doubt it.


 Jesus did not just say be nice when it feels nice, or when you feel like it. He said to love your enemy.

No comments: